Photography Boat Tours
Full knowledge of most waterways in the Southeast including
Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee,
South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky,
Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana
Touring and Guide Services
Experienced Guide with Camera Boat for
Nature and Wildlife Photography, Research Projects,
Location Scouting and
Location Shooting for the Film Industry
Contact me with project details, services needed
and location for pricing information
Office: (770) 949-5758
Cell: (404) 401-4855
Available for any Fresh Water Outings
Any Inland Waterway, Anytime, Anywhere
My current boat was purchased in 2006 for use in a research project I was a part of that also included a custom 44 foot all aluminum 3 bedroom house boat that was our base of operation. The ten day project launched from Suwannee, Florida were the mouth of the Suwannee River meets the Gulf of Mexico and proceeded inland on the Suwannee for 140 river miles to Dowling Park, Florida near Live Oak. The project included filming and scuba diving at many of the springs that feed into the Suwannee as well as the Santa Fe River near Branford, Florida. My boat was used to access the dive locations, filming excursions into the cypress swamps, to scout ahead for channel water depths and/or obstructions and to locate prime anchorages for over night. Hence the name 'Scout' for this boat was established on this trip. This is not a fishing boat, it was specifically designed and built for Photography, Filming and Scuba.
'Scout' (pictured above) is a one of a kind, purposely designed and custom built boat for the waterways I most frequent. It is large enough to be very comfortable for up to three persons and gear for all day excursions and yet small enough to maneuver in extremely tight back water situations. It can easily handle moderate to heavy chop in open water (1 to 3 foot swells) and yet has no trouble motoring thru water as shallow as 4½ inches. Scout's 16' 4'' hull was chosen from Tracker Boats because of it's all aluminum, all welded construction. It has a 'V' bow to help cut thru rough waves, a flat bottom in the center (john boat style) for stability and shallow water capabilities and a 'Tunnel Hull' design in the rear one third. The tunnel hull design helps with top end speed which is 35 mph. It also allows for the motor to be raised with the hydraulic jack plate to a level even with the boat bottom plane and still have amble water flow through the tunnel for low speed propulsion giving it the shallow water capabilities. The chosen motor is an extremely dependable 50 hp, 3 cylinder, 2 cycle, electric start Mercury and with the primary and added secondary fuel tanks, we have a 100 mile range between gas stops. Scout has been lovingly customized with considerable thought and without sparing any detail or expense. She is meticulously maintained and stored in her own climate controlled garage and always ready for service. She is transported on a modified custom designed trailer for Interstate Highway speeds and extremely easy one man loading and unloading capabilities at the most primitive of boat ramps.
Additional custom items and aspects installed:
- GPS system with all fresh water rivers and lakes programmed in. It also has route memory, picks up and displays local tidal stations, chart plotter, lunar and solar times and tables and calculates, stores and displays 8 different aspects of trip times and distance for daily and overall periods.
- VHF hard wire marine radio with GPS capabilities and 26 mile range provided by an 8 foot radio antenna. Radio also has auto distress that when engaged alerts the Coast Guard with our GPS coordinates and transmits continually automatically.
- Sonar depth display unit.
- Hand held VHF radio with 5 mile range for shore excursion party to stay in contact with boat.
- Duel battery system with isolator switch to keep batteries separate or to connect for both be charged by the motor's alternator.
- Secondary fuel cell.
- Custom electrical wiring system and fuse box.
- Dual bilge pump system to easily handle heavy rain and/or water brought on board by scuba divers and equipment.
- Reinforced bulkheads fore and aft.
- Raised transom.
- Motor jack plate.
- Power tilt.
- Prop and skeg guard.
- Secondary electric motor for noiseless (stealth) propulsion. With a transom mount design and duel plug in power points, it can be placed and used either fore or aft.
- Spare prop mounted on forward bulkhead in forward compartment.
- Spare accessories and fuses with special tool box.
- Running lights that stow neatly out of the way during the day and quickly install for night running.
- Special bow mounted 4 million candle power remote controlled spot light. Light can rotate 360º around and 170º up and down and is controlled from the drivers seat. This gives Scout excellent night time capabilities should we find a photo opportunity that keeps us out past sunset.
- Lighted dash board for all gauges and instruments.
- Custom anchor for deep water and shallow water anchor pole system.
- Underwater video camera mount with easy access loading and unloading from in the boat or from in the water. The mount also allows for filming forward while underway.
- Bow tripod mount to attach to fore deck for worry free use.
- Monopod mount.
- Additional, removable raised seating fore and aft.
- Raised carpeted floor that always stays dry.
- Foam camouflage padding for cool, slip resistant, comfortable decks.
- Quick deploy Bimini Top for sun shade and protection from rain showers.
- Two dry storage compartments.
- Scuba dive tank rack for 4 tanks and BCs.
- Cup holders.
- Ice chest mount.
- Easy access Binocular (Field Glasses) mount.
- Multiple plug in power ports for 12 volt devices and chargers.
- Quick access mounts for boat hook pole, anchor ploes and dive flag pole.
- Added custom cleats and tie down eyelets.
- All required and approved US Coast Guard safety gear.
I'm sure I missed a few more items added during the fabrication and customizing of Scout to suit the needs for comfortable and reliable Photography and Filming Expeditions but, as you can see, she is a very special piece of equipment.
Note: All excursions into nature either on foot, by off road vehicle or by boat can have some degree of danger or risk involved. My excursions are as safe as possible in order to protect my companion, myself and my equipment. We will proceed at a pace that is comfortable and safe for you and within your limits and/or the limits of my equipment for a particular situation. Anyone that travels with me however, does so at their on risk and is ultimately responsible for their own safety and for remaining within their own individual limitations.
a division of: Rock Art, Ltd.
4279 Midway Drive
Douglasville, Georgia 30134